An easy vegetable side that won’t heat up your kitchen and no waiting for the oven to preheat or competing for oven space/temperature. Grab your bag of frozen veggies, add a swoosh of olive oil and you’re about 2o minutes away from golden, pan roasted vegetables that are an easy anytime side!
I want to be like a super cool vegetable ninja. I read one time that the ideal is to serve three different kinds of vegetables with a meal. Sometimes I hit that, sometimes I’m far from it, but my goal is to serve amazing and varied vegetables that everyone loves. Notice I said “goal” not “reality”. When I do achieve it though, it’s super rewarding when my 4-year-old says, “What’s this?! I never tried that before, but I know I don’t like it.” Umm, thanks for that, bud!
“Pan-roasted” just sounds fancy, like I’m secretly the sous chef at a trendy bistro in Soho instead of shouting at my younger son not to throw food at the dog while he laughs joyously. I can imagine the glamorous life, right? 🙂 So first up grab your bag of frozen vegetables — I’ve done this with tons of types: broccoli, broccoli-cauliflower mix, peas, green beans, vegetable medley, even Brussels sprouts, and I’ve gotten great results every time. And it’s easy to do two bags at once, just bump up your pan size. Throw down a swoosh of olive oil and throw in your veggies.
Throw in some salt, pepper or whatever seasonings you like along with minced garlic and onion if that interest you. Pop on the lid and turn the burner to medium high. Almost every mix takes about 20 minutes, and I just stir them every five minutes or so, but you can definitely move on to other prep. Towards the end when they really start to brown up, you need to watch them a bit more carefully, but this dish doesn’t need a ton of attention from you until the very end.
Once you start seeing the vegetables brown up and stick to the pan, you’re set! If you’re using a type of vegetable that’s a little on the tougher side like Brussels sprouts, take it off the burner once it’s browned enough and just leave the lid on for a few extra minutes to make sure they soften up to your liking. That’s it, easy pan-roasted vegetables with no pre-planning, chopping or oven heating.
Any other mixes that you’ve tried? I’d love to hear in the comments.
If you loved this, you might also like:
- One Bowl Watermelon Sheet Cake
- Easiest Ever Wine Slushies
- Bacon, Egg & Cheese Deviled Eggs
- Weeknight Grilling Nachos
- Easy Clean-up S’mores Bar
- 1-2 10 oz. bags of frozen vegetables
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Minced garlic and chopped onion, to taste
- Add a swoosh of olive oil to your pan and turn the heat to medium high
- Add your bag of frozen vegetables and seasonings, garlic and onions
- Cook with the lid on, stirring every 5 minutes or so
- Once the vegetables start to brown, stir every minute until they're the browness you'd like
- If you're working with a tougher vegetable, leave the lid on for a few minutes after you've taken the pan off the burner to get them soft enough
- Serve immediately